> Our museum
John Flynn Place honours an Australian visionary and those who joined his campaign for better living conditions in remote Australia. It records an era of technological advance when aviation and radio overcame the isolation of vast tracts of the continent. In particular, it records the role of Cloncurry within this great Australian story, for it was here that history took flight when Flynn began his flying doctor experiment in 1928 and pioneered his scheme of outback radio communication.
The Museum and Art Gallery was opened in 1988 as an Australian Bicentennial project. Funds for the building were raised throughout Australia by the Flynn of the Inland Fund Inc, a community group formed in Cloncurry two years earlier. John Flynn Place is now owned and operated by the Cloncurry Shire Council.
“Funny thing about Flynn, he looked like a bloke from the city, but he always had the smell of the bush about him.” Fred McKay